May 29, 2021

Last Updated on October 19, 2023 by Jacques Wong, B.Sc.

Getting your insurance license in Ontario is a pretty simple process but there are 3 different types of insurance license you can get. There is the RIBO license, OTL license, and the LLQP license. The hard part is picking which license you want to get.

Licensing Options

There are 2 types of license:

  1. General Insurance – This license lets you sell all kinds of insurance products that are not life or health insurance products. That means you can sell: home, car, business, liability, and even travel insurance. There are many more types of general insurance that I cannot list here.
  2. Life Insurance – This license lets you sell life insurance and health insurance (accident & sickness or A&S) insurance products. You can also sell some financial products like annuities or segregated funds.
Photo by Kyle Glenn on Unsplash

RIBO Insurance License in Ontario

The RIBO license is the one you get if you want to become a general insurance broker. An insurance broker is someone who represents and can sell products for multiple insurance companies. With more products, you are more likely to find the best terms and pricing for your client and win that sale. For this reason, if you want to sell general insurance, the RIBO license is probably the best one for you.

To get this license, you first need to study and then pass the RIBO 1 (Entry Level) exam administered by RIBO.

(Want to learn more about: What is a RIBO license?)

(Want to take the: RIBO 1 insurance course?)

OTL Insurance License in Ontario

The OTL license is the one you get if you want to become a general insurance agent. It is the same as a broker except you can only represent and sell products for 1 insurance company.

To get this license, you first need to study and then pass the OTL exam administered by the Insurance Institute of Ontario.

(Want to learn more about: the differences between RIBO and OTL and which one is better for you?)

(Need to take the: OTL insurance course?)

LLQP Insurance License in Ontario

This is the license you need if you want to become a life insurance agent or accident & sickness insurance (health insurance) agent in Ontario. There are 4 modules to this exam with some that you can skip if you only want the A&S license.

In order to get your LLQP license (life or A&S) you need to study with an approved course provider and then register for the harmonized LLQP (HLLQP) exam with your course provider.

(Want to learn more about: the LLQP exam modules?)

(Need to get more help with: the LLQP course?)

Sign up for a FREE trial

Sign up for a free trial today, NO STRINGS ATTACHED. If you need the RIBO 1 course, click here. If you need the OTL course, click here. If you need to pass the LLQP exam, visit us here for the LLQP course.

Jacques Wong is the CEO and Director of Education at PNC Learning. An award-winning licensed insurance broker with over 15 years of experience in both education and the insurance industry, Jacques is recognized for his expertise and effective communication strategies. He achieved the highest provincial scores on his CAIB* 3 and CAIB* 4 exams and contributes to leading insurance publications. Jacques is dedicated to making insurance knowledge accessible for everyone through his unique approach and online content.

Jacques Wong

 Jacques wong


The Best way to learn about our courses is to try them for yourself.




PNC Learning was started by insurance professionals for insurance professionals.

Our goal is to help you get a strong start in the industry and assist you as you seek to learn more and move up in the industry.