December 13, 2020

Last Updated on October 5, 2022 by MaychelleN

If you want to sell home, auto, business, or travel insurance in BC, you need to start by getting your Level 1 Insurance License in BC. Everyone starts with this license but most people will pursue higher licensing levels as they develop in their insurance careers.

What Can I Do With A Level 1 Insurance License in BC?

This license is a general insurance license. With this license, you can sell home, auto, business, or travel insurance – basically everything except health and life insurance which requires an HLLQP license.

With this license, you are able to work in the insurance industry and deal with the public on insurance matters. But if you want to visit clients at their home or office, or work independently, you need your Level 2 license. With a Level 2 license, you can work as an independent advisor.

Getting Your Level 1 Insurance License

To get your Level 1 insurance license in BC, you need to pass either the Fundamentals of Insurance exam or the CAIB 1 exam. We have another post on our website about CAIB 1 vs Fundamentals of Insurance and which one to take but for new students, we recommend taking the Fundamentals of Insurance course and exam over CAIB 1.

Getting your Level 1 license is a very simple 3 step process:

  1. Study the Fundamentals of Insurance course or CAIB 1 course.
  2. Pass the Fundamentals of Insurance exam or CAIB 1 exam.
  3. Apply for a job and your employer will “sponsor” your license and help you complete the rest of the licensing paperwork.

Pro Tip 1: You do not need to find a sponsor/employer before getting your Level 2. You can take those courses/exams right away.

Pro Tip 2: If you want to get hired easier, you should also get your Level 2 license. Most employers will want you to get this soon and with a Level 2 license, you can apply to be an independent producer. Because independent producers are paid on commissions-only, you are basically guaranteed a job because there is no risk for the employer. We have a Level 1 & 2 licensing package for BC to help you save some money.

What Do I Do After Passing The Exam?

After you pass the exam, there are 2 things you can do. You can start looking for a job or you can get your Level 2 license. You can also do both at the same time.

There are many job boards online with hundreds of employers hiring in every city. A quick Google search will turn up thousands of results. Even during the 2020 pandemic, all the brokerages we work with were still hiring A LOT of people.

If you need help with the job search or need advice, contact us and let us know. As a free service to all of our students, we offer employment placement services through our employment partners.

READY TO GET Your Level 1 insurance license?

Head over to our Fundamentals of Insurance course and sign up today for a FREE trial!

Jacques Wong is the CEO and Director of Education at PNC Learning. An award-winning licensed insurance broker with over 15 years of experience in both education and the insurance industry, Jacques is recognized for his expertise and effective communication strategies. He achieved the highest provincial scores on his CAIB* 3 and CAIB* 4 exams and contributes to leading insurance publications. Jacques is dedicated to making insurance knowledge accessible for everyone through his unique approach and online content.

Jacques Wong

 Jacques wong


The Best way to learn about our courses is to try them for yourself.




PNC Learning was started by insurance professionals for insurance professionals.

Our goal is to help you get a strong start in the industry and assist you as you seek to learn more and move up in the industry.