December 6, 2020

Last Updated on April 16, 2024 by Jacques Wong, B.Sc.

There are many insurance courses in BC available to students depending on what their goals are and what type of license they want to get. Here are what insurance courses you need in BC to become an insurance broker or agent.

In BC, there are 3 levels of license for general insurance brokers that have different levels of authority. You can take these exams in any order but you need to apply for the license in order.

Level 1 Insurance Course for BC

The Level 1 general insurance license lets you start working in the industry. You can sell insurance but you have to work under the supervision of a Level 2 or 3 licensee.

To get your Level 1 insurance broker/agent license in BC, there are 2 courses/exams you can choose: CAIB 1 or Fundamentals of Insurance. There are pros and cons to each option which we discuss elsewhere on our website. For most people, we recommend taking the Fundamentals of Insurance course over the CAIB 1 course.

Level 2 License

If you want to work without supervision, work from home, or visit clients at their home or office, then you need your Level 2 license.

To get your Level 2 license, you need to pass 2 CAIB exams: CAIB 2 & CAIB 3.

To help you prepare for these, PNC Learning has created a CAIB 2 course and CAIB 3 course as well as a BC Level 2 General Insurance Licensing Bundle with both courses bundled together for a discount.

Level 3 License

This license lets you supervise other brokers and own/manage your own brokerage as the “nominee”. Most people will not need to get this level of license but it is still good to do the exam in case you ever need it.

To get this license, you need to study our CAIB 4 course and pass the CAIB 4 exam. You also need to have been licensed for 5 of the last 7 years including at least 3 years as a Level 2 licensee.

CAIB Designation

In order to get your CAIB Designation, you need to pass all 4 CAIB exams. If you got your Level 1 via Fundamentals of Insurance before moving on to the other levels, you will need to go back and take the CAIB 1 exam.

This designation is completely optional but it does look good with employers and clients so try to get it. But it’s definitely not the highest priority – I recommend focusing on getting your Levels first.

[UPDATE]: April 15, 2024

Changes for Level 3 Licenses in BC:

Previously, holding a management or ownership role was a prerequisite for a Level 3 license. Now, qualification is based solely on your education and experience. This means even if you’re not in a leadership position, you can still qualify for a Level 3 license as long as you meet the requirements.

Also, say goodbye to the confusion of having multiple license levels based on the companies you represent (ATR). Moving forward, your license level will be tied directly to your qualifications, not your employer. So, if you qualify for a Level 3 license, you can simply apply for it regardless of your current role.

If you already have both Level 2 and Level 3 ATRs, don’t worry! You can continue practicing under your current licenses without any change. You’ll receive an email about how your online ATR information will be updated to reflect this new system.

Jacques Wong is the CEO and Director of Education at PNC Learning. An award-winning licensed insurance broker with over 15 years of experience in both education and the insurance industry, Jacques is recognized for his expertise and effective communication strategies. He achieved the highest provincial scores on his CAIB* 3 and CAIB* 4 exams and contributes to leading insurance publications. Jacques is dedicated to making insurance knowledge accessible for everyone through his unique approach and online content.

Jacques Wong

 Jacques wong


The Best way to learn about our courses is to try them for yourself.




PNC Learning was started by insurance professionals for insurance professionals.

Our goal is to help you get a strong start in the industry and assist you as you seek to learn more and move up in the industry.