December 19, 2018

Last Updated on November 16, 2021 by

If you’re licensed as an insurance agent in BC, you need to get a certain amount of Continuing Education credits (BC CE credits) per year to maintain your license.  And it’s not just there to be a burden, brokers need to get Continuing Education credits to make sure that they’re up-to-date with the latest products and are continuing to develop themselves professionally.

How many BC CE Credits do I need?

The  number of BC CE credits you need depend on the number of years you’ve been licensed and whether you hold any professional designations. 

If you have been licensed for less than 5 out of the last 7 years, you will need to get 8 BC CE credits per year.

If you have been licensed for more than 5 of the last 7 years, you will only need 6.

If you hold a CAIB Designation, you will only need 4 BC CE credits.

[UPDATE JUNE 1st, 2021] General Insurance Agents and Salespersons will require 8 CE credits each licensing term regardless of the years of experience or designations held.

Can I carry over credits?

You are allowed to carry over 1 year worth of credits to the next licensing term.

Do I have to submit my CE credit certificates?

No, you do not need to submit your certificates with your annual filing.  But you will need to keep good records in case the Insurance Council decides to do a CE Audit. You need to keep your certificates for at least 5 licensing periods.

If you receive a CE Audit Letter from Council, you will need to show the list of courses you’ve completed and the hours given for each, a copy of the certificate (or other evidence of attendance), and evidence that the course meets technical education requirements for your license type (ie. a course outline or agenda).

You should also keep a record of the course provider’s name and course title.

What courses count for CE credits?

To be eligible for CE credits, courses have to be on technical content including:

  • Insurance products (relevant to your class of license)
  • Compliance with insurance legislation/requirements
  • E&O insurance
  • Ethics
  • Management, accounting & HR (if you are a Level 3 licensee)

Sales/marketing or software training doesn’t count and you can only use the same CE course for credits once every 3 licensing periods unless it has changed significantly.

Do licensing courses count for CE credits?

If the course was taken to upgrade your license (ie. from a Level 1 to 2 or 2 to 3) then you can use it for credits.

What are my CE credit requirements if my license is suspended or inactive?

You will still need to meet your CE credit requirements.

Have more questions?

The Insurance Council of BC has a convenient CE Credit FAQ available on their website.  Or if you have any other questions, let me know.  I’ll be happy to help.

Get access to 20+ accredited continuing education courses for $10 a month.

Jacques Wong is the CEO and Director of Education at PNC Learning. An award-winning licensed insurance broker with over 15 years of experience in both education and the insurance industry, Jacques is recognized for his expertise and effective communication strategies. He achieved the highest provincial scores on his CAIB* 3 and CAIB* 4 exams and contributes to leading insurance publications. Jacques is dedicated to making insurance knowledge accessible for everyone through his unique approach and online content.

Jacques Wong

 Jacques wong


The Best way to learn about our courses is to try them for yourself.




PNC Learning was started by insurance professionals for insurance professionals.

Our goal is to help you get a strong start in the industry and assist you as you seek to learn more and move up in the industry.