July 27, 2018

Last Updated on August 28, 2022 by MaychelleN

I get this question a lot from prospective students who reach out to me: how do I get my insurance license?

The process can be a bit confusing as the information is so fragmented so I decided to write about it this week.

What’s the process to get my insurance license?

In case you don’t have the time to read the whole thing, I’ll give you the good stuff now.  Here’s how you get licensed: study > write the exam > apply for your license/job.  That’s it.  1-2-3.  Simple right?

OK now let’s go into more detail.  I’ll give you all the links you need below so you’re not scrambling to find things on Google.

How do I study for the insurance exams?

There are many great options available.  You can self-study (both online and/or with the textbooks) or you can take classes.  I suggest picking the method that best fits your lifestyle and the one that allows you to learn best.

Once you’re ready, you can register for your exams.

How do I register for the insurance exams?

If you’re in Alberta, you would register for the Alberta General Insurance Level 1 exam with the Alberta Insurance Council.  There are 7 different exam locations to choose from: Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Red Deer, Medicine Hat, Grande Prairie, and Fort McMurray.  Exam times are also flexible.

If you’re in Ontario, you would register for the RIBO 1 exam with RIBO.  That involves contacting RIBO for an information package; you can do that using this link.  From there, they will mail you an information package with more information & forms on how to register for your exam.

If you’re in any other province, you would register for the Fundamentals of Insurance or CAIB 1 exam with your Provincial Brokers’ Association.  Here is a list of the different Provincial Brokers’ Associations.

I passed my exam!  What do I do now?  How do I start working in insurance?

First of all, congratulations on passing your exam.  Now you need to be “affiliated” with a brokerage.  This means you need a brokerage to sponsor your license application.  Now is the time for you to hit the job boards and start looking for work.  You have 1 year after passing the exam(s) to find a brokerage to sponsor you.

Once you have secured an offer of employment from a brokerage, you can submit your licensing application.  You can find these documents on your Provincial Insurance Council’s website.  Here is a list of the different provincial regulatory bodies; that’s where you would find the paperwork.

Jacques Wong is the CEO and Director of Education at PNC Learning. An award-winning licensed insurance broker with over 15 years of experience in both education and the insurance industry, Jacques is recognized for his expertise and effective communication strategies. He achieved the highest provincial scores on his CAIB* 3 and CAIB* 4 exams and contributes to leading insurance publications. Jacques is dedicated to making insurance knowledge accessible for everyone through his unique approach and online content.

Jacques Wong

 Jacques wong


The Best way to learn about our courses is to try them for yourself.




PNC Learning was started by insurance professionals for insurance professionals.

Our goal is to help you get a strong start in the industry and assist you as you seek to learn more and move up in the industry.